Blog Archive

Friday, June 1, 2012

Do You Believe?


I insist it is your obligation, if you believe in God, simply because he is God, to serve him and obey him. Not because it is for your advantage, it may be, I believe it is, but I demand you follow God, if you believe him to be God.

If you do not think he is God; if you really think that the devil is God, then follow him and his pretended godhead, and be consistent.

But if God is God, if he made you, I demand you serve him. If he puts the breath in your nostrils, I demand you obey him. If God is really worthy of worship, if really think so, I demand that you either follow him, or else deny that he is God at all.

If you say Christ’s gospel is the only gospel, if you believe in the divinity of the gospel, then test your trust in Christ. I demand you follow the gospel, not because it will be to your advantage, but because the gospel is divine.

If you say you are a child of God, if you are a believer, and think and believe that service of God is best, not because of the advantage you get by being holy; but that the Lord is God; and if he is God, it is your business to serve him. If his gospel is true, and you believe it is true, it is your duty to carry it out.

Charles Spurgeon

No comments: